Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bimbo. Really?

BIM-BO: (slang)
-an attractive but stupid young woman, esp. one with loose morals.
-a physically attractive woman who lacks intelligence, and has sex appeal.

The other day as I walked through the parking lot on a beautiful sunny day, I looked over and beheld a rather larger girl, with mascara smears and pink lipstick, wearing a shirt that proudly proclaimed: BIMBO. Hmmmmm.....Interesting.

It's not that I haven't seen far worse. I mean Bimbo is a relatively subdued version of what the word actually means. But I couldn't help but wonder, "What type of woman wears that type of shirt?" Instantly the stories of so many of our women sisters and the price they paid in search for equality came to mind. I almost instantly chastised myself for being such a prude. I mean the whole concept of Women's Rights means a woman has the right to choose what she wants to be when she wants to be it, right? "Let it go," my inner voice said. But let it go, I did not.

What is it with these women who take pride and delight in calling themselves hooker, whore, slut, and the very unattractive word used to describe a female dog? It's not cute, or funny. Its demeaning. And quite frankly the only people I know who use those terms regularly, or as dear terms of endearment for their fellow female friends, are trash (of all ethnicities) or the wanna be bad girl that feels a rush of rebellion when doing so ("hee-hee! I'm so naughty!"...NOT!).

Harsh? Ya, probably. But come on! I'm not a prude, or anything close to it. But I expect to be treated with respect and so, for the most part, I am. I say things I regret, stick my foot in my mouth; but referring to myself, or any other woman friend as something that has no value, someone who our society views as less than, just seems utterly ridiculous to me. Aren't their hundreds of thousands of other words that could be better used when referring to a friend? Or better yet, why not even combine a word or two; use some wit.

I know, I know. It was only a stupid T-shirt. A bit too much thought and emotion devoted to it, huh? Maybe. But the fact is that if women want respect then they must require it. How can you really get it wearing a shirt with that self-proclaimed title?

No comments: